Friday 17 July 2015

JWOC Long Distance

The full map (other then one control at the bottom)

I looked forward to the Long. Last year if I hadn't mis-punched then it would have been my best result. I knew that the format was less technical but expected hard parts to appear on the course. Right from the beginning I was ready for a difficult leg and braced myself for it. Unfortunately when I flipped my map then I was met with a simple leg once again, and had no problem with it. I nailed every leg up to 4 which I ended up overshooting and loosing a minute. This was my only significant navigational mistake during the whole race. I was able to make correct plans and route choices for pretty much every other control.

Punching the spectator control

The terrain was relatively easy with one very difficult control where even the winner slowed down to a walking pace. Otherwise, some areas were more technical then others but it was all bearable. I had a fantastic run otherwise and it ended up being my best result this year, 80th place, a decent number to work off of towards the future with 4 more years of JWOC ahead of me. Next year my goal is to solidly place into the A-final and optimally come in top 30.

Routes for the technical section

Finish Sprint


No comments:

Post a Comment